Gary Matthys, MD
Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Since launching his own practice in 2007, Dr Matthys has performed thousands of successful orthopaedic surgeries throughout the region. Outside of his practice, he also consults for an orthopaedic instrument company and instructs leading surgeons throughout the country and is a published author.
Meet Dr. Matthys
Shoulders, Hips and Knees Surgeon
Dr. Matthys, MD, MBA, was raised on a North Dakota farm where he developed a strong work ethic and an appreciation for honest communication. It was this small-town, Midwestern upbringing that instilled a set of values that he carries through to his practice to this day. It’s his goal to make sure every patient that steps through his office doors receives the highest quality of care possible.
His professional experience includes:
- Medical Degree: University of North Dakota School of Medicine – Grand Forks, ND
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Southern California and Los Angeles County Medical Center – Los Angeles, CA
- Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Fellowship: Baylor University Medical Center and The Carrell Clinic – Dallas, TX
- Joint Replacement and Reconstruction Fellowship: Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School – Boston, MA
- United States Air Force – 17 years
- Hip and Pelvis Reconstruction, Trauma and Replacement Surgery Fellowship: Hip and Pelvis Institute, Santa Monica, CA
- Traveling Fellowship – AONA, Trauma Preceptorship
- Traveling Fellowship – Haborview Medical Center – Seattle, WA
- Professional Affiliation – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow
- Professional Affiliation – AONA Faculty
- Academic Affiliation – Clinical Assistant Professor, University of North Dakota School of Medicine – Grand Forks, ND
- Published Author – Scientific Papers, Technique Articles, Book Chapters
- Lecturer – Orthopaedic problems ranging from hip and pelvis reconstruction to the basic science of bone healing.
- Physician Executive MBA – University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Haslam School of Business.
Dr. Matthys did an awesome total hip surgery on me. I couldn’t walk a block even with my cane. After surgery, was home in 2 and 1/2 days, off my walker in a week. Still use my cane, afraid of falling, at 4 weeks. Small incision, healed nicely.I still have back problems (2 surgeries) but Dr. Matthys is a miracle worker.Thank you!!!
– Vitals Review Patient